Solar power and wind power are breaking out all around us. Montana’s capacity for more wind and solar energy, as well as energy efficiency, is boundless. Other communities have rejected fossil fuels and created powerful incentives to speed our transition to renewables and halt runaway global warming. Why not Montana?
Here are the top 10 reasons we should reject fossil fuels and embrace readily available solutions:
- If it’s wrong to wreck the planet, then it’s wrong to profit from that wreckage.
- We should shame and reject corporations that spend millions denying climate change and lobbying against clean energy solutions.
- Fossil fuel companies have identified $27 trillion of fossil fuels for development yet climate scientists say we can only burn one-fifth of these deposits or we will imperil all life by raising global temperatures above the tipping point.
- Coal exports, exploding Bakken oil trains, pipelines breaks into rivers and streams, and tar sands development threaten our safety.
- No major oil company is investing enough of its profits in renewable energy.
- Our vision is clear: We must build a 100 percent renewable energy infrastructure ASAP!
- Robert Pollin calls for a “1.2 percent solution” investing just 1.2 percent of our GDP for 20 years to get us where we need to go.
- Mark Jacobson’s “Solutions Project” has already identified what the mixture of wind, water, and solar should be for each of the 50 states.
- Each dollar we spend on fossil fuels takes that dollar away from pursuing our 100 percent renewable future.
- Come join us in Butte on October 10. Join our movement to make sure Montana doesn’t build a new generation of fossil fuel generators.